MSF is an independent international medical relief organisation, with 28 offices worldwide. When large-scale epidemics occur, when areas in crisis are too dangerous for many other organisations, then our medical teams are there to assist the affected population. We organise basic medical care, treat the injured, carry out vaccination campaigns, train local staff and build up medical infrastructure. In long-term aid projects our teams fight diseases like tuberculosis, malaria, sleeping sickness, and HIV/AIDS.
We are always on the lookout for qualified medical and non-medical staff who are willing to volunteer some of their time and skills to support those in need.
The work is often exhausting, demanding appropriate professional knowledge, and enormous motivation and commitment for only basic remuneration, but it is also fascinating and immeasurably rewarding.
Terms and conditions vary, but generally as an MSF field employee you will receive:
- Basic payment sufficient to cover costs at home while you are in the field
- A small per diem payment during assignment in local currency
- Round-trip transportation to and from assignment
- Room and board during assignment
- A comprehensive insurance package, including health and emergency evacuation insurance
- Holiday leave (depending on project)
General requirements for most roles:
- At least two years of relevant professional experience
- Availability for a minimum of 9 months (surgeons, anesthetists and obstetricians/gynecologists may be accepted for shorter assignments)
- Fluent English. Other language skills are a valued asset, especially French, Arabic and Russian
- Relevant travel or work experience
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to work and live in a team
- Intercultural competence
- Experience supervising, managing and training others is highly desirable
The list below contains the main professional profiles needed in a MSF project. Learn more about the respective roles and requirements by downloading one of the information sheets.
We provide free live webinars in English with information about various job profiles. Click here to find out more.
If you are a resident of Germany, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, the Baltic States or the western part of the Russian Federation, please click here to find out how to apply.
If you are NOT a resident of one of these countries, please contact the MSF office closest to you. This website has information on which MSF office to apply through.
You may also be interested in viewing some interviews with a few of MSF’s wonderful field staff: click here.