Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private and independent international medical aid organisation. It was founded in 1971 by a group of French doctors and journalists. Whether it is war-wounded people in Yemen, displaced populations in South Sudan or patients with tuberculosis in Central Asia: MSF provides medical aid in more than 70 countries worldwide. The projects are targeted especially at people in need who do not have access to sufficient medical treatment or who are barred from aid. Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. in Germany is one of the 24 membership organisations of MSF. The main focuses of our work lie in the management of field projects, recruitment of field personnel, raising awareness about humanitarian issues, and fundraising. In 2018, Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. collected roughly 158 million Euros in private donations and other income and is currently employing more than 200 staff in Germany.
In the Operations Centre Amsterdam, MSF-Germany, Holland and the UK are sharing ownership and responsibility for Operations in the field missions. This is expressed in programme portfolios managed by Operations Managers (OM), in close collaboration with the Health Advisor(s). Currently, 3 portfolios and the Emergency Desk are run out of Amsterdam, and two portfolios from Berlin. In addition, a medical unit (Manson Unit) is based in London. Each portfolio of countries is supported by a team of advisors (the Operational Support Team, OST), led by the OM.
Terms of reference
Position: Operations Advisor (f/m/d)
Job location: Ärzte ohne Grenzen, Berlin
Start date: 01.12.2019
End date: two year contract, extension possible
Job dimension: 100% (40 hours per week)
Place within the organization
The Operational Advisor (OA) reports to the OMs based in Berlin and she*he provides day-to-day operational support on a functional basis to both OMs.
- Team player with an academic thinking and working level
- MSF experience with emergency aid in complex political and humanitarian contexts of which at least two years with operational management in the field. Head of Mission or Medical Coordinator experience is preferable.
- Experience working in insecure contexts, and experience in managing resources (finance/HR and/or logistics)
- Knowledge of the MSF organisation (preferably both field and head quarter) and of MSF policy and procedures
- Analytical thinking and solution-orientated
- Initiative, flexibility and stress resistance in a fast paced work environment
- Good communication skills (essential), as well as an excellent command of English
- Knowledge of additional languages, especially French is an asset
- The candidate must be willing to work irregular hours and spend approximately 15-20% of the time in the field
- Specifically candidates with a (para) medical background are encouraged to apply
- Payment in accordance with internal salary structure; in this position according to group 5, starting gross salary from min. 3.272 to max. 4.140 Euro, depending on individual relevant working experience
- Benefits: 30 days of annual leave per year, 13th salary, subsidized public transport ticket, regular increases in salary according to salary structure, company pension (from min. 2 years of employment period) as well as free drinks and fruit
- Meaningful and diversified work within a respectful and positive organization culture
- Insights on international field projects through regular reports, presentations and exchange with colleagues
- Possibility of taking an active part in shaping the organization through crossdepartmental working groups, regular staff surveys etc.
- Personal development through in-house trainings and the support of individual training programmes
- Support on work-life-balance through part-time working, working remotely, health promotion and an external psychological employee assistance offer
- A office that is located centrally in Berlin with excellent connections to public transport
As an internationally operating organization, we welcome diversity, open-mindedness and mutual respect. In accordance with our values, we only analyze the professional qualifications in the applications, regardless of ethnical and social origin, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation or age of the applicant.
We’re looking forward to receiving your application until 13th October 2019. Please submit your complete written application (incl. a letter of motivation in English, CV without photo, certificates) by E-Mail and integrate all documents into one file (pdf, max. 5 MB).
Further information can be obtained from: Christian Katzer, Operations Manager, Christian.Katzer@berlin.msf.org